Julie and Josh
We are Julie & Josh from Southern California. It’s great to meet you! We are a thoughtful and adventurous couple who are humbled by your consideration to get to know us. We cannot pretend to understand the difficulty of your decision during this time, but we admire your bravery to trust your gut and the deep love you show for your child. Not all superheroes wear capes. We hope you find clarity through this process and peace in whichever path you choose.
Adoption has always been in our hearts as a way we wanted to grow our family. Creating our family through adoption feels like a puzzle piece to our life and a natural next step. Together we have built a life we love and are excited to one day add a sweet munchkin to our active, fun-loving family.
About Us: We are high school sweethearts! We grew up going to the same school as kids and developed a friendship from a young age. Josh had always had a sweet spot for Julie that grew stronger going into high school. He laid the foundation for romance by being a supportive, thoughtful, and respectful best friend. Julie “friend zoned” him until she could no longer ignore the tug at her heart. At 17 years old, Josh did the impossible—he crossed over from the friend zone! We got married in 2013 surrounded by our loved ones. Fast forward a bit, and here we are!
We have grown unimaginably close over the past 13 years. Our personalities complement each other in a way that just clicks! Josh is logical, extroverted, and playful. Julie is empathetic, kind, and witty. We are best friends and teammates.
We do everything together! Whether it’s running around town for errands or simply lounging around at home, we find ways to make it fun and out-of-the-ordinary. We play a game at home where we each pick out 5 random ingredients for the other and compete in creating a unique dish. It’s usually a pretty close call! We can’t wait for a little taste tester to join us in the kitchen!
Fun Facts About Us as A Couple:
- We enjoy gardening together and growing veggies
- We cook dishes we learned how to make in our travels—We love green curry!
- One of our favorite dates was a concert in the park to see the band, The Fray
- We’ve started our own tradition on Christmas night to go out for sushi and a movie
- Around Easter every year we make sure to set up an egg hunt for each other
- We love being near the water. Oceans, lakes, rivers– all of the above!
About Julie, by Julie: I grew up in Western Washington in the same neighborhood my mother was raised. I fondly remember my childhood filled with outdoor fun and the support of my mom, older sister, and adoring grandparents. From a young age, my family instilled in me a strong appreciation for nature, the value of hard work, and curiosity about the world. I’m so excited to cheer on our future child as they step outside their comfort zone and experience newness as they grow.
“I’m not a regular mom, I’m a cool mom”
- Expert level pancake maker
- I wade in the ocean every time I’m at the beach. Even if it’s freezing cold!
- Empathy is my superpower
- I throw a hip concert in the car featuring Disney songs! Starring: myself
- I keep family traditions alive by canning pickles and sauerkraut in the fall
- Cozying up with a blanket and movie is my soul food. So is traveling
Career: I earned a degree in chemistry from the University of Washington and over the years made my way to my current role as a drafter working on drawings for the electric grid. I use my computer to create construction drawings for electrical projects. I am able to work remotely and plan on cutting down hours to be home for our future child. Although I enjoy my position, I am looking forward to switching focus to motherhood soon.
About Julie, by Josh: I’ve been in love with Julie since I was 17 years old. I was drawn to her intelligence, humor, and kindness. She is so adventurous to try new things, and has encouraged and empowered me to grow, introducing me to new flavors and tastes. She loves to experience new cultures and has planned wonderful trips for us throughout our marriage. She is an open and empathetic person and encourages others to be the same. She is the best influence in my life. She truly is my better half, and I cannot wait to see the kind of mother she will become. She will empower our future child to be strong, compassionate, and wanting all the experiences life can bring.
About Josh, by Josh: I’m from a small town north of Tacoma, Washington. I grew up in a close and family-oriented household. I learned to approach the world very logically from my Dad, and my Mom taught me to never be afraid to let my emotions show. I’m an extrovert with a quiet side, I’m just as comfortable in a loud crowded restaurant as I am on the couch with a book (Harry Potter of course!). I love children and have perfected the art of a well-placed “dad joke.” I’m looking forward to becoming a father, mentor, coach, and friend to our future child.
Rumor has it…
- I am a fierce mini-golf competitor
- Getting someone to crack a smile is my superpower
- “Does ice cream count as a favorite food?”
- I love game night with friends or family. My favorite board game is Risk!
- I know all the words to Frozen and Moana songs
- Seattle sports teams are my jam. I got to see the Superbowl with my dad in 2014. Go Seahawks!
Career: I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and started my career in the electric utility as a design engineer. For the last few years I have been a supervisor overseeing engineers, project managers, and currently grid operators. I’m very ambitious in my career, but I work to live, not live to work. Balance is so important to us as a couple. Everything I do in my job is to ensure that we have the resources to be our adventurous selves.
About Josh, by Julie: My other half is the most selfless, charismatic, and understanding man that has ever graced my life. He is the cheese to my macaroni. He cares deeply about our marriage and his relationships with family and friends. Josh has a strong, confident exterior, but don’t let that fool you…he’s a total softy underneath! His secret teddy bear heart is my favorite thing about him. He’s a goofy guy who never takes himself too seriously; he has been cracking silly dad jokes since I knew him as a preteen. He will guide a little boy to be a respectful, confident man or a little girl to be a force to be reckoned with. I know he will be an exceptional dad—I can’t wait to see him in action!
Our Home and Community
Our home in Southern California is a great central location to a variety of family-friendly activities. We live in a development in Orange County, CA with swimming pools, playgrounds, several sports courts, and plenty of grassy areas and walking trails. We love to see the bunnies come out at dusk by the walking trail. Our community is a very safe area with lots of businesses and restaurants within walking distance. We are a 20 minute drive to the beach and Disney theme parks and a bit longer drive to all that San Diego and Los Angeles have to offer. We love the activities and great weather, which is what brought us here from Washington State!
Lessons we Will Teach Our Child:
- Practice empathy and understanding
- You can’t control others, only your response
- Embrace differences
- Question the “norm” then make your own choices
- Be the best version of yourself, whomever that may be
- Respect others and the planet
- Everyone you meet is a teacher
Our Family and Friends
Most of our family and friends call Western Washington home, and Josh’s dad lives in Arizona a few hours’ drive away. We also have friends we consider family; we have maintained our friendship since early childhood! We are both close with our families and text or send funny articles or pictures every couple of days. We love when they come visit so we can enjoy all the fun activities in our area together. We host a house guest about every 2 or 3 months and we see them in Seattle a couple times a year. Our families are so excited to welcome one of the first little ones into the family!
Things We are Grateful For:
- Unconditional love and open communication in our marriage
- To have the job flexibility to be present parents
- A supportive and enthusiastic family
- Financial stability to lead a fun and adventurous life
- Good health to keep up with an active child
Our Promises to You:
- To ensure your child is adored and supported by those we invite into our lives
- To speak of you with admiration and gratitude
- To protect you and your child’s privacy
- To provide your child with education inside and outside of the classroom
- To respect that this is your decision to make
Thank You: Thank you for taking the time to view this snapshot of our lives and the values we practice. You and your child already hold a special place in our hearts, and your seats are reserved if you so choose. We send you much love and respect as you navigate the tough journey ahead.
- Julie & Josh