Luis & Mike
Luis and Mike
Dear Birth Mother,
Hello! We are Luis and Mike from Los Angeles, California! We admire your decision to place your child for adoption. We know you haven’t taken this choice lightly. We hope that reading about us will give you some comfort that there are people like us who will provide endless love and care to your child.
A Little About Us
We met playing the sport we love and have played most of our lives, water polo. One lucky morning, Luis tried out a water polo practice of a Los Angeles adult team where Mike had played for several years. We locked eyes that morning and went out to breakfast afterwards with the team.
We both wanted to learn about each other’s life right away. We became friends for a couple of years until the stars aligned. Our first date was swimming then enjoying lunch outside on a rooftop high rise restaurant overlooking downtown LA. It was March, sunny, and warm.
Fast forward: We have been together for 7 years and married for 2!! We knew we were meant for each other very early on, and we love spending time with our families. We also knew we wanted to build our own family and raise children together.
Please know that if you choose us as adoptive parents, your child will have two very loving fathers. We will do everything within our power to provide for, educate, encourage, motivate, your child…and make them laugh :-).
Fun Facts About Us
1. We love going to free concerts all the time thanks to Mike working at Ticketmaster.
2. We saw a cheetah, leopards, lions, elephants, giraffes, zebras, hippos, penguins, ostriches and dozens of other animals during our honeymoon in South Africa!
3. We went to the Game of Thrones premiere in Hollywood and talked for 5 minutes and got a photo with the actress who plays Arya Stark–she was really nice!
4. We dress up in costumes every Halloween, such as bridezilla, Imagine Dragons, a werewolf, a vampirate (vampire + pirate), a Lego, an avocado, a Jedi, and Tintin and Captain Haddock.
5. We sometimes like to get handy! We painted the interior of our house several different colors and built a large wooden clock for Mike’s stepmom Janet.
About Luis, by Luis
I grew up in a loving, caring and hard-working family in Medellin, Colombia. My dad was a doctor and my mom owned a handful of clothing stores. I am the middle child and have two awesome brothers, Jaime Andres and Jorge Alberto.
Every holiday season my parents took us on vacation to a city near the sea to visit my grandparents. We would spend Christmas with our large family of 25+ people. Those family gatherings are among my favorite memories as a child.
I migrated to the US for college and graduated with a degree in Finance and Economics. I am currently a Director of corporate finance at a large TV entertainment company (NBC Universal) and love my job! NBC Universal provides great benefits and is very friendly towards employees with children. I speak fluent English and Spanish and would love for my future child to learn both languages (maybe more!).
Food: Chicken, spinach, and ice cream
Drink: Water, followed by a good morning cup of coffee
Movie: La La Land
Destinations: Vancouver & Whistler, British Columbia (Canada)
TV shows: Brooklyn 99 (NBC), Big Mouth (Netflix)
About Luis, by Mike
• Luis is the most dependable and practical husband I could ever imagine–he loves doing the boring stuff like family finances and investments!
• Luis and I like to race each other for the “good spot” on the couch for watching TV and snuggling
• I never thought I’d marry someone who plans even better than me! We both planned (and paid for) our 150-person wedding ourselves, and I did the bachelor party (for both Luis and me, whitewater rafting), but he did our honeymoon, much harder (African safari)
• Luis forgives me when I lose my willpower and sometimes eat his treats at home
• I had boxer dogs growing up, but we want a German Shepherd like Luis had growing up
• Luis is better about taking photos and posting on social media
• Luis always is on the phone with his family members! (But Luis leaves his phone in his pocket when he’s with friends or family)
• Luis gets me and his friends and family fun gifts, even when it’s not our birthday!
• I love how Luis will always go dancing, to music concerts, and on adventures with me
About Mike, by Mike
I grew up near the beach in a suburb of Los Angeles. My mom loved volunteering, working in the garden, reading, swimming competitively, spending time with her friends and with me and my older sister, Kelly.
My dad started his own company a year after I was born and made a great living advising companies how to save money–like Luis, he is very smart with finances! My dad taught my sister and me how to play games and sports–too many to count!–while my mom got us into competitive swimming and water polo. I was the water polo captain at Harvard college and met Luis playing the sport together years later.
Both of my parents taught me to be kind, honest, and hard-working. I was a high school teacher (biology and chemistry), coach, and assistant principal for 10 years and now I work for Ticketmaster. I speak Spanish okay and continue to learn via the Duolingo app and Luis’ family!
Food: Healthy stuff (fish, chicken, vegetables)…and ice cream 🙂
Drink: Sparkling water
Movie: Star Wars and The Princess Bride
Destination: Safari in South Africa
TV show & Books: Game of Thrones
Musical: Les Misérables
About Mike, by Luis
• I love when Mike tickles my back in places I can’t reach.
• Mike balances his busy schedule very well. Mike always has time for me, family, and friends!!
• I love how Mike keeps us both healthy by cooking healthy and fresh foods.
• Mike always encourages me to go swimming or play water polo with him!
• Mike is very kind and communicates with me and others very well.
• There is always a game that he wants to play, either in the morning while we are drinking our coffees, or at the park or beach.
• Mike has a very kind heart and spends a good amount of time volunteering with various non-profits, such Human Rights Campaign (HRC), West Hollywood Aquatics, and The Point Foundation.
• He loves to sing! In the shower, in the morning, in the car, out and about!
• He can’t wait to have a German Shepherd, which is what I want too! We will most likely get one in a few years so our children can help us take care of him/her.
Our Home and Loved Ones
We live in a 3-story condominium in a very family-friendly, safe neighborhood in a suburb of Los Angeles, California. We are walking distance to 2 beautiful parks with playgrounds, the library, and a frozen yogurt store! There are tons of activities near our home such as the Zoo, hiking trails, and the beach.
There are many theme parks near our home. There is Universal Studios with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Disneyland, LegoLand, Knott’s Berry Farm, and Six Flags. We value education and there are great schools (rated 10 out of 10) less than a mile away!
Meet Our Loved Ones
We are very fortunate to have families who love us for who we are. Mike’s mom Stevie passed away years ago but his dad Pete eventually remarried Janet and now we have 3 awesome step-siblings, all in Los Angeles with our parents! Mike’s sister Kelly and brother-in-law Phil aren’t too far (San Diego) and his nephew Eli lives in Austin, Texas. We spend a lot of fun holidays together! Christmas and 4th of July are the best.
Luis’ family is spread across the United States. We meet at least once a year for the holidays. Luis’ older brother Jaime has an 18 month daughter Victoria and his little brother Jorge together with his wife Kimberly just had their first baby boy Santiago 🙂 We can’t wait to make our family gatherings even larger!
Top 5 places we’d like to go with our future child:
2. Disney World
3. Tokyo, Japan for the Olympics
4. Sailing around the Greek islands
5. Glacier National Park, Montana
Our Promise To You
We promise to always pay attention to your baby, keeping her/him safe. We don’t mind losing sleep, your child will become our top priority. We vow to have fun with our future child, teach life’s important lessons, and most of all to show affection and love our child no matter what!
Thank you for considering us as adoptive parents to your child