Neil & Karen
About Us & Our Promise To You
Hello, we are Karen and Neil from southeastern Michigan. Thank you for taking the time to get to know us!
Your child’s story begins with the love and courage it took for you to consider adoption; we hope that it continues with us.
As Parents, We Promise
• We will love your child completely and unconditionally.
• We will cherish and celebrate each milestone as he or she grows into their own.
• We can’t wait to have birthday dinners of favorite foods and special cake, where he or she gets to lick the frosting off the candles after blowing them out!
• We are excited to tickle and giggle, play airplane, kiss boo-boos, help with homework, to teach parallel parking, photograph prom dates and then cry and be proud all at once when it’s time for college, marriage and a family of his or her own.
We promise to be there for your child every step of the way, offering love, encouragement, guidance and providing for his or her future. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for considering us as adoptive parents for your child.
Our Love Story
We’ve been together for 10 wonderful years and happily married since 2013. We met while working on a website project and felt an instant bond. We are both passionate about our ideas and love talking and joking together about everything from politics to silly Pinterest fails!
Our friends said from the start that we were perfect for each other. We are best friends and partners who love sharing home life, movies, museums, travel, dinner at small restaurants and exploring things off the beaten path. We can’t wait to share Sunday drives with our children the way Karen’s parents did with her – driving down unexplored roads and making an adventure out of whatever we find! We both love children and are excited to welcome our first child into our family.
We both have financially secure careers. Karen is the marketing director for a national company and love her work helping physician grow their medical practices. She will consult part-time after our child arrives and is excited about being a stay-at-home mom.
Neil is a software development engineer who is passionate about creating programs that it easier for others to do their jobs. He works near home and has a flexible schedule that will allow us to spend more time together as a family.
Things That Make Us Happy
• Snuggling at home in front of good movie (Guardians of the Galaxy and The Help are favorites!)
• Playing card games (Euchre!), conversation and laughing out loud with friends
• Spur of the moment family cookouts
• Hide and seek with our dog Jack
• Unexpected stops to see whatever on the way
• Silly jokes that make Karen laugh until she cries
• Marvel superheros!
Through Neil’s Eyes
From the first, I loved how opinionated, funny and quick-witted Karen is. She puts up with my quirks and doesn’t try to change me – she loves me for exactly who I am. She always puts people first and is passionate about the small things that make life worthwhile – such as being thrilled with the change from crisp, windy fall days to sunny, spring ones. She’s also a natural storyteller who loves sharing stories about family. I know that she will share that same fun, laughter and love with our future child!
Karen loves kids – and our nieces, nephews and very special god-daughter Katie all adore her! She sang lullabies and read to Katie throughout her preemie hospital stay Now that Katie is happy and healthy, finding new ways to make her giggle is at the top of Karen’s list of favorite things. Our nieces and nephews also love the special gifts she makes – from hand-designed posters to a refinished chandelier covered in crystals perfect for 15-year old Shelly! She also gets a kick out of planning and helping host their birthday She will be an incredible and caring mother.
Six Things I Love About Karen
• How compassionate she is – she always goes out of her way to help others
• The way she sees the best in everyone
• The way she actively encourages people to follow their dreams
• Her excitement about quirky architecture
• Her joy in gift-giving
• Her independent ideas and love of the unconventional!
Why Karen Will Be A Good Mom
• She will happily fuss over the details that make memories of birthdays, holidays and everyday events
• She will use her love of learning to help our children understand the world around them
• She believes in individuality and will make sure our children can express themselves
• Just like she makes sure I have my coffee when I leave for work, she will make sure our child has his/her lunch, book bag and a kiss with love for the day
• She is a remarkable combination of soft and strong – just what it takes to be a good mom!
A Few Fun Facts About Karen
• Always happy and chipper in the morning
• Loves online shopping (and Amazon loves her too!)
• Addicted to HGTV
• Has a power tool for every home repair
• Gave herself a black eye when she fell asleep reading on the IPad
• Awesome at arts and crafts projects
• Favorite TV Show: Big Bang Theory
• Favorite Movie: It’s a Wonderful Life
• Favorite Holiday: Christmas
• Favorite Treat: Frappe (what’s better than sugar and caffeine? LOL)
Through Karen’s Eyes
Neil is my best friend –the one I look forward to sharing each day with and the one I count on whenever things are difficult. He is the most generous, compassionate and funny man I have ever met! (His sense of humor still catches me by surprise and makes me snort with laughter– but I pretend that it doesn’t!).
He is honest, hardworking and has a passion for knowledge that he has presently focused on investing so he can better provide a secure financial future for our family.
Neil will be a great dad and plans to be very involved with raising our children. Our nieces and nephews love him, not just because he’s a kid at heart, but because he treats their ideas with consideration and respect. He has a tremendous depth of love to share, balanced by strength of character and patience – just what it takes to be a good dad! Sharing my life with Neil is my greatest source of happiness – happiness I can’t wait to share with a child!
Six Things I Love About Neil
• His sense of humor and the sparkle in his eyes when he laughs
• The way he covers my eyes at the scary parts of movies
• The way he loves to cuddle up and hold my hand
• His tenderness with babies and children
• His openness to new ideas and experiences
• The way he works hard to provide for and care for his family
Why Neil Will Be A Good Dad by Karen
• He plays as hard as he works
• He is very affectionate and has lots of hugs, kisses and cuddles to give!
• He is excited about being actively involved in every part of a raising a child – from changing diapers to attending school events
• He will teach our child to plan for the future
• He will share his humor with wonderfully lame kid jokes
A Few Fun Facts About Neil
• Can’t talk until after first cup of coffee in morning!
• Has worn two different shoes to work
• Eats his dessert first!
• Loves watching space alien documentaries
• Will move heaven and earth for family and friends in need
• Makes perfect omelets and grilled cheese sandwiches
• Favorite TV Show: Castle
• Favorite Movie: A Knight’s Tale
• Favorite Holiday: Diwali
• Favorite Treat: Boston-Crème filled donuts
Our Family, Friends, Home & Neighborhood
We Love Time With Our Family & Friends
Family, whether by birth or friendship, is the heart of our lives. We each come from close, loving (also fun, opinionated and loud ) families and want to share the same love and support with a child. Our family and friends support our decision to adopt and are excited to welcome a new addition!
Karen grew up with a large extended family in Royal Oak, Michigan and most of her family still lives nearby. They celebrate a diverse heritage that includes Polish, Scottish and American Indian roots. We cherish the holidays with all the aunts, uncles and cousins, nieces and nephews!
Neil was born in India and immigrated to the United States with his family when he was 10. They lived in California and Kentucky before making nearby Troy, Michigan their permanent home. Although Neil’s family is now spread across the country, they are all have close relationships and talk and visit often.
Our parents set great examples for marriage and family – Karen’s parents have been married for more than 50 years and Neil’s for nearly 40. We look forward to raising our children using the best from both our families.
Our Home and Neighborhood
We live in a pretty 2-story home with a bright yellow front door that matches the day lilies planted out front. We have a fenced backyard with a picket fence around the flower garden and a huge maple tree that shades the whole house in summer.
Our town is a great place to raise kids – it’s close-knit community of wonderful, kind people who look after each other. It really is the kind of place where we chat with neighbors over the fence and make play dates for the kids and dogs!
We live close to schools and the town center which has a beautiful park, athletic complex, pool and water park. It’s also home to all kinds of family activities: we can’t wait to bring our child to enjoy movies in the park and live puppet shows, dance to live music, sample fresh fruit at the farmers’ market and even try ice skating!
Home is where both of our hearts are, so we are slowly remodeling so our home to make it comfortable and cozy. Everyone who hears that we painted the living room orange with hot pink accents thinks it’s crazy until they see it – bright, cheerful and inviting – the perfect place for a growing family!
Meet Our Dog Jack
We rescued Jack from a local shelter when he was the tiniest puppy. He’s grown into a smart, mischievous dog who loves walks, treats and tug of war! He has a very expressive face and is such a talker that his nickname is the Huffy Puppy. He loves spending time cuddled up with his people and is very excited to meet everyone and become friends. We know our child will love spending time with him throwing sticks, playing chase and snuggling up on the sofa.
Thank You & Closing Thoughts
We deeply appreciate you taking the time to learn about us and our hopes and dreams for a child. Family has always been such an important part of both of our lives and having a family of our own is our most heartfelt dream.
Please know our most sincere wish is to give your child a warm, loving home filled with laughter and support. We will be loving, involved parents devoted to helping your child grow to be happy, thoughtful, respectful and independent. We will encourage your child to be curious and discover and follow his or her passions.
We believe in the importance of education and have already begun saving to provide for your child’s college education. Perhaps most importantly, we will teach your child to strive for his or her dreams and provide him/her with the loving, encourging family base needed to reach them.
We understand that the decision ahead of you is difficult, but know also that whatever choice you make will be based on what is best for your child. We hope you find peace and reassurance as you make your decision – and we would be truly honoroed if you considered us as adoptive parents.