Neil & Karen
Hello! We are Karen and Neil from Southeastern Michigan. Thank you for taking the time to get to know us! Your child’s story begins with the love and courage it took for you to consider adoption; we hope that it continues with us. We are very excited to grow our family through adoption!
Our Love Story: We’ve been together for 10 wonderful years and happily married since 2013. We met while working on a website project and felt an instant bond. We are both passionate about our ideas and love talking and joking together about everything from politics to silly Pinterest fails!
Our friends said from the start that we were perfect for each other. We are best friends and partners who love sharing home life, movies, museums, travel, dinner at small restaurants and exploring things off the beaten path. We can’t wait to share Sunday drives with our children the way Karen’s parents did with her – driving down unexplored roads and making an adventure out of whatever we find! We both love children and are excited to welcome our first child into our family.
Things That Make Us Happy:
• Snuggling at home in front of good movie (Guardians of the Galaxy and The Help are favorites!)
• Playing card games, conversation and laughing out loud with friends
• Spur of the moment family cookouts
• Hide and seek with our dog, Cooper
• Unexpected stops to see whatever on the way
• Silly jokes that make Karen laugh until she cries
• Marvel superheros!
Our Work: We both have financially secure careers. Karen is the marketing director for a national company and loves her work helping physicians grow their medical practices. She will consult part-time after our child arrives and is excited about being a stay-at-home mom.
Neil is a software development engineer who is passionate about creating programs that make it easier for others to do their jobs. He works near home and has a flexible schedule that will allow us to spend more time together as a family.
About Karen through Neil’s Eyes: From the start, I loved how opinionated, funny and quick-witted Karen is. She always puts people first and is passionate about the small things that make life worth while. She’s a natural storyteller who loves sharing stories about family. I know that she will share that same fun, laughter and love with our future child!
Karen loves kids – and our nieces, nephews and very special God-daughter, Katie, all adore her! She sang lullabies and read to Katie throughout her preemie hospital stay. Now that Katie is happy and healthy, finding new ways to make her giggle is at the top of Karen’s list of favorite things.
Our nieces and nephews also love the special gifts she makes – from hand-designed posters to a refinished chandelier covered in crystals perfect for 15-year old Shelly! She also gets a kick out of planning and helping host their birthday parties. She will be an incredible and caring mother.
A Few Fun Facts About Karen:
• Always happy and chipper in the morning
• Loves online shopping (and Amazon loves her too!)
• Has a power tool for every home repair
• Awesome at arts and crafts projects
• Favorite TV Show: Big Bang Theory
• Favorite Movie: It’s a Wonderful Life
• Favorite Holiday: Christmas
• Favorite Treat: Frappe (what’s better than sugar and caffeine? LOL)
• Addicted to HGTV
About Neil through Karen’s Eyes: Neil is my best friend – the one I look forward to sharing each day with and the one I count on whenever things are difficult. He is the most generous, compassionate and funny man I have ever met! He is honest, hardworking and has a passion for knowledge.
Neil will be a great dad and plans to be very involved with raising our children. Our nieces and nephews love him, not just because he’s a kid at heart, but because he treats their ideas with consideration and respect. He has a tremendous depth of love to share, balanced by strength of character and patience – just what it takes to be a good dad! Sharing my life with Neil is my greatest source of happiness – happiness I can’t wait to share with a child!
A Few Fun Facts About Neil:
• Can’t talk until after first cup of coffee in morning!
• Eats his dessert first!
• Loves watching space alien documentaries
• Will move heaven and earth for family and friends in need
• Makes perfect omelets and grilled cheese sandwiches
• Favorite TV Show: Castle
• Favorite Movie: A Knight’s Tale
• Favorite Holiday: Diwali
• Favorite Treat: Boston-Crème filled donuts
Family, whether by birth or friendship, is the heart of our lives. We each come from close, loving (also fun, opinionated and loud) families and want to share the same love and support our future child. Our family and friends support our decision to adopt and are excited to welcome a new addition!
Karen grew up with a large extended family in Michigan and most of her family still lives nearby. They celebrate a diverse heritage that includes Polish, Scottish and American Indian roots. We cherish the holidays with all the aunts, uncles and cousins, nieces and nephews!
Neil was born in India and immigrated to the United States with his family when he was 10. They lived in California and Kentucky before making nearby Troy, Michigan their permanent home. Although Neil’s family is now spread across the country, they all have close relationships and talk and visit often.
Our parents set great examples for marriage and family – Karen’s parents have been married for more than 50 years and Neil’s for nearly 40.
We look forward to raising our children using the best from both our families.
Our Home & Promise
Our Home and Neighborhood: We live in 2-story home in a suburb outside of Detroit, Michigan. We have a fenced-in backyard with a picket fence around the flower garden and a huge maple tree that shades the whole house in summer.
Our town is a great place to raise kids – it’s close-knit community of wonderful, kind people who look after each other. It really is the kind of place where we can chat with neighbors over the fence and make play dates for the kids and dogs!
We live close to schools and the town center which has a beautiful park, athletic complex, pool and water park.
Home is where both of our hearts are, so we are slowly remodeling our home to make it comfortable and cozy. Everyone who hears that we painted the living room orange with hot pink accents thinks it’s crazy until they see it – bright, cheerful and inviting – the perfect place for a growing family!
Our community has all kinds of family activities that we can’t wait to bring our child to enjoy including:
• Movies in the park and live puppet shows
• Live music to dance to
• Sample fresh fruit at the farmers’ market
Meet Our Puppy, Cooper: Cooper is a lovable Bernadoodle and the newest addition to our family. He’s a fluffy bundle of happiness who wiggles with excitement every time he meets someone new. He loves cuddling up with his people, taking walks, treats and tug of war! We know our future child will love spending time with him throwing sticks, playing chase and snuggling up on the sofa.
As Parents, We Promise:
• We will Love our future child completely and unconditionally.
• To cherish and celebrate each milestone as he or she grows into their own.
• We will have birthday dinners of favorite foods and special cake, where he or she gets to lick the frosting off the candles after blowing them out!
• To tickle and giggle, play airplane, kiss boo-boos, help with homework, teach parallel parking, photograph prom dates and then cry and be proud all at once when it’s time for college, marriage and a family of his or her own.
• We will be there for our future child every step of the way, offering love, encouragement, guidance and providing for his or her future.
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for considering us as adoptive parents for your child. We hope to hear from you soon!