Dear Birth Mother
Hi! I’m Sarah from Long Beach, California. I truly appreciate you taking the time to get to know me. There are no words in the English language that could come close to telling you how much this opportunity means to me! You are making the most important decision of your life. No matter what path you choose, please know that I am forever grateful and in awe of the selfless love you have for your child.
When I was 14 years old, I remember watching a news story with my parents about adoption, and from that moment forward I knew that I would become an adoptive parent. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and even though I have chosen to adopt as a single woman, I am not alone on this journey. I am fortunate to have the love and support of my friends and family which means your child will always be surrounded by the same love and support.
A Little About Me: I love to travel! My grandmother took me on my first trip abroad when I was 13 years old. Since then, I have never really stopped traveling. However, I am not your typical traveler as my favorite thing is to immerse myself in other cultures. Luckily, as a teacher I get a lot of time off each year to travel, so far I have been to 43 countries (and counting)! I have gone on treks through the jungle to get to remote Mayan ruins and I have eaten croissants with a view of the Eiffel Tower. I have been to 43 countries and counting! I have lived in Colombia, Nicaragua, South Africa, and Italy. I look forward to the day I am able to take my future child on their first trip to a new country and share in the joys of international travel with them.
In 2013, with no prior family history, I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer. I am happy to say I have been given a clean bill of health ever since and am fortunate, through multiple clubs and organizations, to be able to use my experiences to help other young women diagnosed with breast cancer.
About My Career
I began my career as a high school English teacher, but felt I was made for more. For the last 3 years I have been fortunate to work with students with disabilities. I love my job and all of the challenges it presents because I am able to make a difference in my students lives and they in turn remind me to enjoy every minute of mine.
Birthday Tradition: In my class, we always make every student feel special for their birthday. Since this student is not allowed to eat additional sugar, I made her a birthday cake using ONLY fruit.
5 Things That Make Me Happy
- Spending time with family and friends
- The ocean
Meet My Village
My parents and I are very close. We video chat about once a week and we text almost daily. They are both retired teachers and are so excited to have a grandchild to spoil! Last year they moved back to my father’s village in Italy and they live there full-time. However, as soon as I bring my future child home, they have already made plans to return to California for a bit to help me share in the joys (and challenges) of raising a newborn!
Even though I am an only child, I have never been lonely. Growing up I spent a lot of time with my neighbors, cousins, and close family friends. We are all still very close to this day. I have known my closest girlfriends, Stacy, Jenn, and Kayleen, for over 25 years, and we are more like family than friends. Their kids call me Aunt Sarah, I attend each one of their birthdays, and we go on family trips together at least a few times a year. I may be biased, but they are truly amazing people!
- Thanksgiving: Ever since I was 10 years old, my parents and I have been going to ‘Thanksgiving Camp’ in the mountains outside San Diego. We stay in cabins, go hiking, play board games, and, of course, eat s’mores cooked over the campfire.
- Cioppino (pronounced Ship-ee-no): A seafood dish invented by Italian immigrant fishermen living in San Francisco. My aunts and mom literally take days to make it from scratch every year so we can eat it on Christmas Eve. It gets pretty messy though, so we all wear bibs!
- New Year’s Day Rose Parade: A tradition started by my grandparents when they were alive and lived in Pasadena, we awake before sunrise and sit along the parade route to watch the incredible floral floats drive by.
My Home and Community
I live in a diverse and welcoming neighborhood about 10 minutes from the beach. Even though I live in a large city, Long Beach is made up of small communities. Living in Southern California, we have great weather all year long. In the evenings families ride their bikes or walk together and stop to talk with their neighbors as they pass by. On a regular basis my neighbors and I have spontaneous barbecues while the kids play in the pool. I also live about a block away from the Los Angeles River that has bike and horse trails that lead to the beach. I can’t imagine a better place to raise my future child!
About My Friends
Meet My Friends!
- About me from my friend, Jenn: Sarah is someone who kids gravitate to because she is fun, engaging and warm. She has a loving nature that comes across immediately and her energetic spirit is contagious.
- About me from my friend, Stacy: Sarah has wanted to be a mother for as long as I can remember. She has talked about all the places she will show her child, the travel they will take, the cultures she will teach them, the education they will receive, and the loving home that will serve as a foundation for their growth. By selecting Sarah as the mother who will raise and love your child, you choose a home for your child with a robust support system full of unconditional love and encouragement.
My Promises to You and Your Child:
- They will always know unconditional love
- There will always be adventure whether in our home or around the world
- They will know their adoption story and grow up knowing how incredible you are
- There will never be a day that goes by that I don’t thank you for choosing me
One Last Thank You: Thank you so much for taking the time to learn a little about me! I know you will choose the right match for your child and I hope and pray that you find peace being confident that your child will be so deeply loved and cherished. I look forward to the opportunity to get to know you as well.